Friday, August 12, 2011

The Lightbulb


When asked why you do what you do, what do you say?
...because  I make good money?
....because I get weekends off?
....because I set my own hours?
Usually not.  Usually there is something else that drives us.  Something like...
..passion for the subject-matter
....service of others
...doing good (not just well)
...enjoyment of the journey
...solving the puzzle
And knowing this, then finding this daily occupation, our life's work is really what is fulfilling.
For me, I call this 'the lightbulb'.  I love to see the 'click' in my clients.  The moment when they shift to new thoughts and ideas, the moment they see what is possible, no longer impossible.  The actions they develop after this click are rewarding for them and for me.  It is the next step on their journey.
So what is your 'lightbulb'?  As a leader, you have one, you simply need to recognize it, own it and live it.
It may mean changes in what you do or how you do it. It may be uncomfortable recognizing it...and that is OK, that is how we grow.
What do you do when you work for or with someone who does not have a lightbulb? (stop laughing, I don't mean they are dim-witted, more not following their passion)
....ask them if they are happy?
....ask them what they would do if they could do anything in the world?
...ask them their next step in changing their future?  After all, why live so unhappily.

No comments:

Post a Comment